Would you Know What to do if Someone is having a Heart Attack?
Sometimes life requires immediate action. The fact is that almost 70% of Americans don’t know how to perform CPR. Here are a few ways you can make a difference and help save a life.
- Call 911: it is important to call 911 right away for immediate help
- Stay close: Do not leave the person having a heart attack under any circumstance! Wait until 911 or medical personnel have arrived.
- Provide comfort: As you wait for help to come, try to make the victim more comfortable by placing them in a comfortable position, loosening clothing, and staying close to provide reassurance.
- If needed, give CPR: Studies have shown that giving CPR can increase the chance of survival for the victim. If the victim collapses, stops breathing, or stops responding, perform hands-only CPR at 100 chest presses a minute.
- Sign up for classes in your area and help make a difference: https://www.redcross.org/ny/new-york/take-a-class