What To Expect On Your First Visit
The common stereotype of physical therapy is that it is associated with pain, leaving the patient fearful of its treatment. This is not the case. With most conditions, pain is an adverse response to the appropriate outcome. There are a few situations that discomfort is necessary to gain progress, but it is done at a slow, tolerable level and is always discussed before treatment is preceded.
ON YOUR FIRST VISIT:
- You are expected to arrive promptly at your appointment time.
- You will fill out paperwork for your chart.
- We will review your health insurance benefits with you as they relate to physical therapy. You are responsible to provide us with the proper insurance information prior to your first visit. It is your ultimate responsibility to know your healthcare benefits as you have contracted with your insurance carrier.
- Your appointment will last approximately one hour.
- Your physical therapist will perform a thorough evaluation, educate you on your condition, establish functionally based goals with your input and create a treatment plan.
- Physical therapy is most successful by being compliant with the treatment plan and its recommended frequency. This is usually 2-3 visits per week with the addition of self treatment at home.
- Be prepared to actively participate, ask questions and have fun!
With the PT Doctor, you should expect us to listen intently to your needs. We will get to know you as a person and understand how your physical injury impacts you. We work closely with your physician or healthcare professional. If a referral is needed, we are able to help you find the appropriate professional that will suit your need.